BLACK BORDERS was created to dress, uplift and empower BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities through inclusive design and flexible payment options in order to promote a sustainable lifestyle for all.
In an effort to help put our garments on the bodies of the people we are serving, we are implementing a privilege-based sliding scale policy on purchases $200 or more (products listed under Marion Maynor for Herbin Co. are not eligible for sliding scale; only products owned by BLACK BORDERS). For BXB accessibility is essential, otherwise we are not aligned with the very values that sit at the core of our brand.
Please review the guidelines and know that this scale is intended to be a starting point, inviting each of us to take inventory of our financial resources and look deeper at our levels of privilege. It asks us to evaluate and consider more than just income level. While we ask you to take these factors into consideration, please don’t stress about it! Pay what feels right. We will not ask questions about your payment choices.
Consider paying less on the scale if you:
- are a person who experiences discrimination and/or violence related to systematic oppression
- have medical expenses, been denied work, or experience discrimination related to ableism
- are eligible for public assistance
- have immigration-related expenses
- are a sex worker who experiences occupational discrimination (personal or legislative)
- are an unpaid community organizer
- are a returning citizen who has been denied work due to incarceration history
- are supporting children or have other dependents
Consider paying more on the scale if you:
- own the home you live in
- have investments, retirement accounts, or inherited money
- travel recreationally
- have access to family money and resources in times of need
- work part time by choice
- have a relatively high degree of earning power due to level of education, gender privilege, racial privilege, thin privilege, class background, etc. Even if you are not currently exercising your earning power, I ask you to recognize this as a choice.
We acknowledge that the low end of the scale might still not be affordable for some. Please understand that we are offering a model that I feel is sustainable for our small business.
Range on sliding scale:
Default - 100% (default on all orders placed)
Medium - 85% (use code MEDIUM)
Low - 75% (use code LOW)
[Sliding scale description adapted with permission from Ritual Dyes, by way of Little Red Bird Botanicals via Underground Alchemy and from AB Tattoo and Zenger Farms]